Warhammer Fantasy Battle Reporter Forum

(for WFB & GW games)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to the friendliest forum in the Warhammer World !

Registration is very quick.

(you need a valid email address to activate your account, this is just to prevent advertising spambots - your email address is never shared).

Post subject: WFBattles.com - Development (10th Feb 2015)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:48 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Battle Cry !: Retreat !
Love: Vampire Counts
Hate: Dwarfs
Fear: Dark Elves
WFBattles (visit me !) development plans
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

updated: 10th Feb 2015

In Development
  • Signature featuring a member's Win/Draw/Loss, Win% and rank - which can be used in any forum or website (NEW)

Confirmed
  • Add Battle Scenario to "add Battle" page (eg. Battleline, Watchtower, Blood and Glory etc.)
  • Add Battle Scenario to user's Battle edit page to allow them to select for battles already added
  • Add "Crushing Victory/Defeat" check box to Add Battle page
  • Add "Crushing Victory/Defeat" to user's Battle edit page to allow them to select for battles already added
  • Add user Stats Summary comparison page for all visitors to see
  • User blog/website links in profile and member's roster
  • Most successful Member's analysis by army selection (unit type/troop type/phase/army/enemy/game size)
  • Improved Page Navigation
  • Downloadable League Results
  • Yes, the most painful of all (in terms of time) - Adding Chaos Dwarfs

Under consideration
  • Most Valuable Unit in Add Battle and a page to analyse by unit type, Army and Enemy (under consideration)
  • Some sort of Facebook/Twitter/Email integration so people can notify friends of new battles
  • One comment per member on a battle report

Completed
  • Embedded YouTube batreps beneath member posts (21st Nov)
  • Moved email host to gmail because of problems sending to gmail from previous server (19th Dec)
  • Added a new view named "Members" on the ArmiesVs page to show the count of different members adding each type of battle (14th Nov)
  • Added tables to Reckoning > Army Selection page - showing all armies (not just the army in the pie chart) (14th Nov)
  • Global Content Delivery Network enabled so pages load faster in locations further away from the server (2nd Nov)
  • Added filter to show current army edition only battles in ArmiesVs stats - ArmiesVs and Battle Count matrices (22nd Oct)
  • Apply new ranking to personal stats pages (new ranking uses not only win% but (as a tie breaker) draw% and number of battles fought) (13th Oct)
  • Added selectable Army and Enemy dropdowns to Member's Roster so you can rank players by Army or a specific Enemy they have fought "Member's Battle Ranking (NEW)" tab (11th Oct)
  • Changed the "Member's Roster" into a much faster and improved battle ranking page see "Member's Battle Ranking (NEW)" tab (3rd Oct)
  • Significantly amended the Member Accolades page to make it a lot tougher for those adding batreps (including notes) to win accolades (23rd Sep)
  • Added filter to show current army edition only battles in ArmiesVs stats - see caveat in key (23rd Sep)
  • Increased, searchable and rateable battles on Battles page from 1,000 to 5,000 (15th Sep)
  • Increased battle notes on Add Battle page from 1,500 to 3,000 characters (early Sep)
  • Added member accolades page to award up to 90 individual accolades for those submitting batreps or extensive notes (18th July)
  • Battle report / video filter on Battles page (12th July)
  • Add Highest rated battles that the visitor hasn't yet read/watched (ie. rated) Battles page (13th Jun)
  • Battle pts value filter added to ArmiesVs page for Army vs Army, Army Matrix and Battle Count (8th Mar)
  • Battle Count analysis added to ArmiesVs Page (27th Feb)
  • Professional Mercenaries & Fun Foes section added to Battlefields page (21st Feb)
  • Tournament / Friendly / All Battles dropdown filter added to Member's Roster page (20th Feb)
  • Added filter to ArmiesVs page to allow visitors to filter on All Battles / Friendlies only or Tournaments only Army vs Army tables (21st Dec)
  • Added option to rank user Win% by "evidenced" battles only (ie. battles with links or extensive notes) Members Roster (4th Dec)
  • Popular Army Collections - which army collectors, own, painted, want, love, loathe and fear which other armies Army Collectors (21st Nov)
  • Merry Slaughter (most enjoyable battles) and Chosen of the Dice Gods (luckiest winners) added to Reckoning > Battlefields section (14th Nov)
  • Army Strengths polls added to Member's profile and results in polls section (8th Nov)
  • Corrected Member's Legendary Lord rank so all their armies are ranked (not just those in top 3) (1st Nov 2013)
  • Added Batrep Rating to Battles filters so users can, for example, filter out battles with less than 7 stars (1st Nov 2013)
  • Change Army polls to allow nil submission so users do not have to rate everything (eg. an army book they haven't read). (Oct 2013)
  • Accolades system for Most Valuable Members according to their participation (10th Oct)
  • A page for the best rated Battle Reports & writers / YouTubers (Scribes) (1st Oct)
  • The most active Batrep reviewers awarding Stars (Seers) (1st Oct)
  • Star Rating for all Battle Reports (29th Sep)
  • A sort by Star Ratings in the Battles Archive page
  • The Book of Admiration, actualy named "The Revered" (most wanted & feared armies) (2-Sep-2013)
  • Links to jump easily between member's profiles and battles (6-Sep-2013)
  • The WFB Scales of War and Bitter Rivalries page added (8-Sep-2013)
[/list]

Post subject: Re: Coming soon-ish
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:43 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

My current WIP is the Battlefields page.

It has two elements:-

1) The Scales
----------------------
the eternal struggle between the Forces of Destruction, Order and non-Aligned Armies (pie chart)

and

2) Bitter Rivals
----------------------
the enemies which spill the most of each other's blood*

* every army is featured and ranked by blood spilled (ie. battles x pts size of game) against their single most fought enemy. Only battles against rival factions count (eg. Forces of Order vs Forces of Destruction or Non-Aligned forces). Internal Faction strife, such as a Wood Elf vs High Elves battle, is ignored.

As an illustration, no.3 below: Skaven vs The Empire, is the 3rd most fought battle in total points value that involves rival factions (in this case, The Forces of Destruction vs The Forces of Order).

This will help the Old Ones and Chaos Gods monitor the progress of their plans and assign their gifts accordingly :-)

Here's an example (using test data) of what I've done so far:-

Post subject: Re: Coming soon-ish and Completed
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:38 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

I've been working on Star Ratings for Battle Report notes & report links.

It will allow any member to rate a battle report, the rating will be aggregated to provide average ranks per report (and show the number of times it's been rated) and I'll be adding a new page for the best Battle Scribes.

The Battles Archive page will be updated so you can filter/sort by battle report rating.

Here's what I have so far on my development server...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:51 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Love: --- choose one ---
Hate: --- choose one ---
Fear: --- choose one ---
Hey Sigmar :)

Just wanted to say that what you are doing for the Warhammer hobby and community is incredible - big thanks.

PS. Any hopes for a Norse player to see a Norse option in the future? :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:04 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Grim Squeaker wrote:
Hey Sigmar :)

Just wanted to say that what you are doing for the Warhammer hobby and community is incredible - big thanks.

PS. Any hopes for a Norse player to see a Norse option in the future? :)

Thanks very much indeed GS. I have to say that it's not a completely altruistic endeavour on my part. I'm trying to improve my programming skills so chose something I'd be interested in rather than some boring business website that I know I'd soon get bored of :-)

I'm sorry but I don't plan to add any of the unofficial armies at the moment (except possibly Chaos Dwarfs). If you want to record your battles, use The Empire as a substitute for Norse. I don't think anybody would mind, I certainly don't (you can mention the fact you're using a Norse army in the Battle Notes if you like).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:02 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

A little promo and some interesting (at least I think so) highlights into the data we've collected so far:-

WFBattles.com highlights

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:07 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Two updates:-

1) The Star Ratings for Battle Notes / Report Links should be completed on Wednesday (screenshot below). I'll be adding pages for best Scribes and Reviewers.

* note that the update will apply retrospectively so any battles already added can still be rated.

2) Trusted and Distrusted member battles (A new Feature) is being added (I'm doing this next because I think it's quite important!)

This will allow members to anonymously trust or distrust a battle poster so that the most distrusted battle posters can be excluded from the overall ranking on the Member's Roster page. I'm putting this in place because I suspect that somebody will start to post 24 out of 25 wins to make sure they're top of the league and, frankly, if there are no convincing battle notes/report links to back up their claims, I think some people might like to exclude them from the ranking system.

There will be option to exclude or include so there shouldn't be any complaints from people who think they're wrongly omitted because they will still be able to include themselves in the ranking on the pages they are looking at.

Screenshot of Star Ratings (so far)

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Coming soon-ish and Completed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Star Rating for battles almost complete - I hope!

I've had a bit of a torrid time over the past 2 days, elation that I've got something working and then disappointment that the next thing up might be a problem.

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that the Star Ratings for Battle Reports/Links is working on my development server which should mean it's almost ready.

I did actually put it online to test it but it became unresponsive and too slow, worse... for reasons currently unknown, it does't seem to work on the ipad (or for Safari browser users I presume).

Anyway, the bottom line is that I have a few ideas to improve it's performance and (hopefully) make it work on all devices. I think I'm almost there.

PS. don't let it stop you adding a battle, all battles will be available for rating whether you add them now or if you added them right at the start.

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Coming soon-ish and Completed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

I've finally got to the root of the problem with the battle Star Ratings. It was fine on my local server because it didn't have to travel far to get to the database and I was asking it to perform a lot of small data fetches. However, it wasn't so happy when I asked the same thing of it when it was travelling from London to the web server in Hong Kong !

It took me all day ! I had to deconstruct the page piece by piece to find out where the offending code was. Anyway, I'm going to change the way it works (I've almost finished doing it but promised myself I'd have a few Friday night beers so it won't be completed until tomorrow).

I'm reasonably confident that the new design will work, it will fetch the data in one swoop so it will be slightly slower on the initial query but it should be more robust and won't clog up the server with unfulfilled requests (which is what was making the website unresponsive and locking the tables so no pages were refreshing).

I suspect you found that very boring but I just needed to get it off my chest :-) Apologies to anybody who experienced any slow loading pages today, it was my fault but I needed to test it on the live version as I went along because I couldn't replicate the problem on my development server.

Thanks for your patience folks.

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 29th Sep 2013)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:43 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Completed the Star Ranking for Warhammer Battle Reports

I need to sort out the positioning of some of the text for Firefox and Safari (Mac) but it looks ok on the other browsers so I thought I might as well share it now. I'll post about it on my blog to explain how it all works but I reckon it's reasonably clear from the image - please try it out and let me know (btw: if you're looking at the 8 stars and the rating of 7 below, it's because one person has already rated that report and the person who has chosen 8 stars is about to click "Rate it" and then the average rating will become 7.5)

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 29th Sep 2013)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 am 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

All of the issues I am aware of with the Star Ratings have now been resolved and I'm pleased to report that it's all going down very well.

So far, 25 battle posters (scribes) have had their reports rated by 5 different raters (seers), altogether, there have been 76 ratings awarded. So far, so good, it's only been online for just over half a day so I'm fairly please so far :-)

User Notes:-
-----------------

When logged in you will see Star Rankings rating for batreps on the Battles page when you click the "+" image in the "N" notes column (this indicates that somebody has either linked to an external report or posted some notes. Members who have posted battles can also see their own batrep ranking on the Scribes page - in the Battles section and who the batrep raters are in the Seers page - in the Battles section.

Please help me to spread the news on Facebook, Twitter, Blogs and Forums.

See screenshots below and my Warhammer blog post for details of other things I'm working on (which includes a Trust/Distrust reporter feature and a Most Valuable Member page).

Battles Page...

Scribes Page...

Seers Page...

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 2nd Oct 2013)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

WFBattles Member's Prestige Page completed.

WFBattles Member Prestige Ranking

Copied straight from my Facebook post, sorry but it's been a long day and I didn't feel like writing it all over again...

"I've completed the member ranking, which I've named "Member Prestige" (it has a nice ring to it, I think).

In a nutshell, members are rewarded for their participation with points. The more points you get, the higher your rank, starting from citizen all the way up to "God" status ! (with 13 other ranks in between).

It's all waited in favour of community participation, you actually get a lot more for reporting a loss or draw than a win - to encourage members to post all their battle results. You also get a lot for linking to an external battle report, especially a video but you also get well rewarded for writing up comprehensive notes. Just filling in the Hobby and Polls profile pages will move you from citizen to Militia rank. Also, rating other people's battles earn you points whether you give them a 1 or a 10 out of 10.

The best way of rising up through the ranks will certainly be to write up good informative notes or to link to worthy batreps/videos because every star that someone awards you will give you another point. Get a good reporting reputation and the points will come flooding in.

Anyway, please check out the page and click the "Prestige Pts key" to see how points can be earned:- http://www.wfbattles.com/Warhammer_Fant ... Ranks.aspx

I hope you like it, please let me know what you think,
Sigmar"

The full page...

The Prestige Points Key...

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 10th Oct 2013)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

I have amended the Campaigns page so that it now loads quickly and is responsive to button presses to switch between Lords and Armies.

The concession was calculation of the General, BSB and Hero members for each alliance into a job scheduled to run twice a day (when the cockerel crows and wolf howls ;-) )

I guess it would take several hours for the messengers to get back from the battlefields to their respective alliances with news of battle and thus the appointment of a new General :-)

All of the other stats on the page are all live and updated when the page is loaded, it's just the General, BSB and Hero titles that will oly be updated twice a day.

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 10th Oct 2013)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

I'm now working on the member's Polls page, so that members can choose not to rate an army book (which they may never have read), an army's minis (which they might not have seen) or the strength of an army (which they may never have fought).

All poll stars for new members will default to zero (ie. no stars). A reset button will be added for existing members to allow them to set any army they didn't want to rate to zero stars.

I will also be setting all the stars to 0 where a member has not rated an army other than 5 stars in all categories (ie the member left the page with it's default settings).

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 15th Oct 2013)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

The Member's Poll page is all done, existing members can now remove any rating against any army (for example, you've never seen the Ogre Kingdoms book so don't want to give it a rating - previously the rating defaulted to 5/10). Just click the down-left arrow to remove a rating.

An offshoot of all of this is that I have removed all the 5/10 ratings if a member did not change any of the defaults. As a result, the ratings should now be a lot more accurate (surprise, surprise, Warriors of Chaos are leading the "Strongest Army" poll - by a long way! )

Current Army Rankings