Warhammer Fantasy Battle Reporter Forum

(for WFB & GW games)
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to the friendliest forum in the Warhammer World !

Registration is very quick.

(you need a valid email address to activate your account, this is just to prevent advertising spambots - your email address is never shared).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 18th July 2014)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:27 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Battle Cry !: Retreat !
Love: Vampire Counts
Hate: Dwarfs
Fear: Dark Elves
The Member Accolades page has been added.

It's all fairly self explanatory really - just check the "Accolades key" on the page if you're not sure what each accolade is for.

In a nutshell, the awards are for posting batreps (especially those that get lots of star ratings), winning battles, being the most successful army general (in the past 3 months), having the most victories over an enemy and having the highest win % record over an enemy over the past 6 months.

There are 90 accolades (not all of which will be rewarded if the criteria is not met - currently 87 have been awarded to 33 different members but this is likely to change regularly as less active battle reporters drop out of the listings making the accolades available to more active members).

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. Here are a couple of screen shots (the 1st of which only shows the top 5 members who all have 9 or 10 "Sigmar Stars", there are 28 more to scroll through - including accolades for some of our other forum members.

The instructions...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 pm 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Battle Cry !: Get off your knees & wipe your chin.
Love: Wood Elves
Hate: Daemons of Chaos
Fear: No one!
That sounds cool, unfortunately I,m on a 6 game unwinning streak with my wood elves so my award should read something like 'bumbling fool of Athel Loren' or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Battle Cry !: Get off your knees & wipe your chin.
Love: Wood Elves
Hate: Daemons of Chaos
Fear: No one!
Make that 7. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:49 am 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Ratlizardelfguy wrote:
Make that 7. :(

Ouch!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:02 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Hi folks,

I forgot to mention that, following Maetco's suggestion, I've increased the number of characters that you can add in your battle notes from 1,500 to 3,000 characters (and, if everything goes ok in terms of database speed then I might increase it further).

Also, I've increased the number of searchable battles from the latest 1,000 to 5,000 (we currently have 4,300 so it means they are all accessible, 1,600 of them have batrep links)

Battles search limit increased to 5,000 battles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle notes increased to 3,000 characters
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 24th Sep 2014)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:16 am 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

I've added a new filter to the ArmiesVs page to include only current edition army book battle results in the stats.

The filter compares the battle added date with the army book release dates published on Wikipedia (see the link in the page's "key") and any battle added following the release month are assumed to be current edition battles.

The change comes with a caveat that some old battles are added as new members back-date their batreps but hopefully, overtime, the stats will become more and more accurate.

Click images to go to the respective page.

I've also made it significantly tougher for batrep reporters to earn accolades (see the key in the below page)

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (updated 3rd October 2014)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 am 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Hi folks,

I noticed that the Member's Roster page had almost slowed to a halt (well, it took 14 seconds to load which, in internet terms, is forever!). So, while trying to figure out why it was so slow I had a rethink about the page and significantly changed it so it's more of a battle ranking page now (oh and it only takes 1 second to load :-D)

In a nutshell, the page ranks members' battle stats according to the filters on the page. So, if you're only interested in seeing the stats of members who have fought, say, 10+ tournament battles and have evidenced those battles with batreps then you can do just that.

Anyway, there's a key on the page which will hopefully tell you everything you need to know.

Click the "Member's Battle Ranking (NEW)" tab

One important thing to note is that this page will exclude a LOT of members who are less active than others. For example, if a member has posted 3 battles which are all victories then they won't appear because they will have a 100% win record. Likewise, a member who has posted 4 losses or one who has posted 2 draws also will not appear because they have a 0% win record - there are many members who fall into this category. So, currently the table only ranks 325 members but, pleasingly, many of them are very active :-)

Note that: the detailed army stats "+" dropdown continues to show ALL of that member's army stats, not just the filtered data in the ranking table - I might change this (I'm still thinking about it).

The Member's profile "+" dropdown section (remains the same)...

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (11th October 2014)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Hi folks,

I've added an Army and Enemy dropdown to the Member's Roster page so that you can rank players by the army they have fought with or a specific army they have fought against. (note: I removed the activity filter that I added in the last post (above) because it seemed a bit pointless, I much prefer the ranking by army and enemy).

Player ranking by Army and Enemy

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (13th October 2014)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:04 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Hi folks,

I have amended the member's personal stats pages and stats highlights (top right of screen after member log in) to bring it in line with the new ranking on the member's Roster page

In summary, it may mean that your ranking improves or gets worse because if you were previously tied on say 67% with 10 other members you would be ranked equally with them. In contrast, the ranking now takes into account your draw% and number of battles fought. So, if you have a 67% win record but more draws (ie fewer losses) than somebody who also has a 67% win record you will occupy a higher rank and that other member will occupy a lower rank. Furthmore, If you have the same win% and draw% as another member but you have fought more battles then you will take the rank above the other member and they will be ranked below you.

Here's an example of the pages affected (using OnceBitten260's profile):-

Login summary (in top right of screen):-

Member stats page (the Legendary Heroes Rank" section):-

The Member's Roster page which the other personal rankings now agree with:-

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (22ndh October 2014)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:44 am 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

A correction to the Accolades page where higher ranked members were listed below lower ranked ones (instead of above them).

I've also made it clear how the accolades ranking works. In summary, different accolades are worth different points, the total points for the accolades a member possesses are totaled and the accolade winners are then ranked from highest points to lowest (see notes).

Member's Accolades page

Page Snippets:-

The new notes.

Page snippet for demonstration of ranking:

For example, see that Swordmaster and others are ranked 3rd alongside Hoodling and OgreWargaming because the total accolade points for Swordmaster (Legend 6 + Loremaster 5 + Lord 4 + Hero 3 = 18) is the same as Hoodling and Ogrewargaming (Legend 6 + Loremaster 5 + Lord 4 + Conqueror 2 + Nemesis 1 = 18)

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (22nd October 2014)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

While checking out some of the stats today, I realized that I had not added the "Current Army Books" checkbox filter to the logic for the ArmiesVs and Battle Count matrices. So, I have now :-)

ArmiesVs tables / matrix and Battle Count matrix (use radio button to select)

The new filter excludes any battles that were posted before the latest edition army book was released. There will be differences whenever that army has fought a battle or a member has fought against that army.

The biggest differences will be in the Dark Elves, Dwarfs and Wood Elves army columns because those new editions were released since this website went live (on 31st Aug 2013).

Examples below (all army editions image first, followed by current armies only) :-

Battle Count

after click....

ArmiesVs Matrix

after click....

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (2nd November 2014)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:42 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

I have switched on a Content Delivery Network (CDN) for WFBattles.com. What this means in a nutshell is that pages should load quite a bit faster (the ones I've tested are 25-50% faster).

If you're interested in how it works (I'm no expert but here goes)....

The CDN has 28 servers across the world and it caches static data and images and delivers them from the server closest to your location. In effect it's a quicker request/response "round trip" than it previously was when a single server, possibly located at the opposite end of the planet, was delivering the pages to you.

To see it in action try the Add Battle page and select armies from the dropdowns, hopefully you'll notice a difference.

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (14th November 2014)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:58 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Hi folks,

I've made a couple of enhancements.

1. The ArmiesVs page now includes a "Members" count so you can see the number of different members who have added each type of battle.

This is to enable visitors to see not only how many battles have been played on an "army vs army" basis but also the number of unique members who are adding those battles. The theory is, the more players who have added the battles, the more reflective of the real army performance the stats are likely to be. Hence, I have highlighted in Green the battle stats that we can have the most confidence in. Obviously, you should also take into account the number of battles played.

So, for example, if 4 members had added 40 battles for Woc vs Empire then it's possible that those players are both really good WoC players (or really bad) and the resulting stats are not likely to be as reliable as say 10 members who have added 4 battles each.

Note: I'm considering combining the Battle Count / Member Count / Armies (%) matrices into a single matrix with a selectable "overlay" so you can more easily compare the Battle Count / Member Count and resulting % performance of each army.

That's my thinking anyway :-)

2. The Reckoning > Army Selection page now includes tables for all of the armies

This is to allow visitors to see the data for all armies at once, rather than having to select the army in the "All Armies" dropdown to update the Pie Charts.

I've left the pie charts in place for people who find them useful because they are still linked to the "All Armies" dropdown but this dropdown will have no effect on the tables because all armies are already shown. The other dropdowns for enemies, game result and game type all function as before for both the pie chart and also the new tables.

Some screenshots.....

The new ArmiesVs - Member Count view....

The new Reckoning Page > Army Selection tables...

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (14th November 2014)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:17 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

PS. I forgot to mention, I have added a link to the top right of every WFBattles.com page which will point to the latest post in this thread when I have an update to share - I've added the date so you'll know whether there's anything new you might like to check out.

Post subject: Re: WFBattles.com - Development (21st November 2014)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:30 pm 
Master Assassin
Master Assassin

Hi folks,

I've embedded the corresponding YouTube batreps beneath member video battle submissions.

The new page will replace the current Battles page when I've finished testing it and adding a new feature (I should be finished on Monday 24th Nov).

Anyway, it works (including the rating function) and is ready for you to try out if you like, the test version is currently named: http://www.wfbattles.com/Battles_with_videos.aspx

Note: don't bother saving it to your favourites because once I've finished I will rename it to Battles.aspx and it will replace the existing Battles page

I have to say, I'm really pleased with the way it looks and it's a lot better being able to get a piccie of a batrep video so you can see if you think it's one that might appeal to you.

Warning: currently, if you rate a video before it's finished playing then the rating will be applied but the panel will close and so will the YouTube video and you might not have finished watching it!.

Here's a snapshot....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next